VPX Sports Forum

how to progress the chest with bad shoulders.

Posted 12/31/2010 6:22:26 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/30/2012 7:37:27 PM
techniques to progress the chest with bad shoulders.

Maintain proper posture, proper posture while exercising with the scapula back and down.

Strengthen up posterior shoulder muscles with face pulls, rear delt flyes this supports the rotator cuff muscles.

Use a closer grip on the bench press to keep the shoulder joint in the groove and force the pec to press in greater ROM.

Stick with incline movements any incline needs to be slight, steep will tax the delts more.

Utilise the dumbbells for greater shoulder ROM and a more natural line of movement to you.

Use spotter to get dumbbells in place jerking weight back can cause a lot of damage.

Keep up the pace, hitting it hard and fast will cut weights but increase muscle activation.

Avoid painful exercises, if it doesn’t work for you don’t do it.

I heard this on superhuman radio, by pj braun although it's quite basic and most might know this, I see plenty of people having little clue how to develop a chest and may have bad shoulders preventing further development, hope this helps people, pj braun has had numerous shoulder injuries from dislocations on both shoulder joints.

Post #1537
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 12/31/2010 7:52:54 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 1/9/2013 12:05:20 PM
I bet a lot of people mess up their shoulders by flat benching lying there like a pancake. I rarely see someone in the gym using proper technique. Then their shoulder hurt and therefore chest training gets difficult and so on.
Post #1560
 Posted 1/1/2011 3:40:05 PM
Supreme Being

people focus too much on moving the bar from a-b by any means and the bar hardly ever takes the same path with each rep getting more ineffective, what astonishes me is that people just switch of their brains and have the longest learning curve, I'm sick to death of watching newbe's kill themselves.
Post #1598
 Posted 1/4/2011 5:56:17 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

ADMINISTRATORADMINISTRATORADMINISTRATORADMINISTRATORADMINISTRATORADMINISTRATORADMINISTRATORADMINISTRATORADMINISTRATOR

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 6/23/2013 7:33:12 PM
We're actually in the process of producing a string of "how-to" training instructional clips that will be available on an iPone/droid app that instructs proper form and technique for most beginner exercises.  

"This is Christmas season and Mickey Mouse operations are in Orlando."
 - Jack Owoc
Post #1648
 Posted 1/7/2011 4:06:42 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 5/5/2011 10:41:40 AM
If your shoulders are real bad (and you have a hard time with proper form) sometimes its best to use machines that will force you to use the right form.  Also there is less stabilization needed from your muscles which will add less stress
Post #1718
 Posted 1/7/2011 5:44:45 AM
Supreme Being

jordyb80 (1/7/2011)
If your shoulders are real bad (and you have a hard time with proper form) sometimes its best to use machines that will force you to use the right form.  Also there is less stabilization needed from your muscles which will add less stress

the stabilisation you get from free weights will heal your joints faster you will find, as you perfect your form you will get less pain you just have to drop the weight and then build up again with proper form, and of course allow a good time of recovary inbetween sessions supplement with cod liver oil3gtwice day/evening primrose2g twice day/vit d3/glucosamine chondroitin4-6g total/msm 1/4th tsp every day twice a day.

I dont think many had the injuries ive had and go and train relatively pain free progressing poundage.
Post #1726
 Posted 1/16/2011 12:31:52 PM
Supreme Being

Last Login: 4/9/2013 4:25:31 PM
joshnow (12/31/2010)
techniques to progress the chest with bad shoulders.
(snip)

Utilise the dumbbells for greater shoulder ROM and a more natural line of movement to you.

Agreed. Dumbbells did the trick for me when I was having issues with the Olympic bar. Was completing my reps with my palms more or less facing each other on the down stroke and then rotating them to the regular straight bar position at lockout.

http://forum.vpxsports.com/Uploads/Images/1a77f260-8b19-4522-bedb-3933.JPG
Post #1887
 Posted 2/16/2011 4:59:27 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 3/10/2011 11:37:47 AM
Thanks for the info, my shoulder has been bugging me for awhile.Hurt it on a jobsite. About 4 months ago.  Typical guy thinking is to just train thru it. And I keep wondering why its not getting better.
Post #2419
 Posted 2/17/2011 4:14:58 AM
Supreme Being

a lot of the problems occur when people increase weight at the expense of form, e.g dropping weight rather than a controlled negative to controllably then press in a explosive but not throwing fashion.

this results in a continuous stress on the deltoids and triceps throughout the whole movement, scientifically as well controlled negative's are regarded as the bread and butter of muscle growth.
Post #2430
 Posted 4/11/2011 3:52:36 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 7/10/2011 4:28:22 PM
John Romano (1/4/2011)
We're actually in the process of producing a string of "how-to" training instructional clips that will be available on an iPone/droid app that instructs proper form and technique for most beginner exercises.  

Thats pretty cool! this site is progressing so fast

Ive been lifting for 6 years and the most useful thing that ive learned is to not just move the weight, but squeezeeeee and contract and feel it

your body doesnt know your benching 405 it just feels the weight so you can make 225 feel just like 405
Post #6005