VPX Sports Forum

Tips for tall bodybuilders

Posted 1/30/2011 10:29:23 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/9/2013 12:05:20 PM

It is not very common to see a person over 6’4” get into the sport of bodybuilding more seriously then only couple of workouts a week for fitness purposes. But in these rare cases there are some pointers that could be useful. I myself am 6’6” and easily the tallest person working out more than twice a week in any gym I ever worked out at. Being this tall and having done this for some time I have realized there are rules that apply to us skyscrapers that are a little bit different or same but even more important than to a shorter person. Here are couple tips for us who see over crowds.

1. Monk-like patience

It is preached a lot that bodybuilding is not a 100 meter race but rather a marathon. Well, in our case bodybuilding is not a marathon; it’s a journey around the globe and back. The taller the person, the longer the journey. There are some genetic freaks out there but for the majority of people, building muscle is a long and hard process. Now just imagine a person 5’8” gaining 10 pounds on his frame over a period of time and 6’5” person gaining the same 10 pounds over the same time. The level of improvement will be much greater visibly on the shorter person because his smaller frame will reflect the change as more dramatic. On the other hand, 10 pounds on a tall guy’s frame is hardly visible. Therefore tall people must have patience of a monk and stick with it for years and years to build decent musculature. 

2. Range of motion

Full range of motion is not always the best way to train for tall people, in my opinion. Especially when squatting. Parallel is just enough. Don’t try to go ass to grass. The distance from fully erect position to parallel is great enough. You are not 5’6” and your range of motion is not 4”.

3. Bending over

In this day and age with a lot of options possible for training each body part, I recommend staying away from heavy barbell rows. There is nothing worse for tall man’s lower back then to bend over and stay at that position for prolonged period of time. Due to the length of the upper body, the force pressing on the lower back is too much. There is nothing wrong in eliminating this exercise from your back routine. Dumbbell rows work just as well. I am not against deadlifts, but I would do them only once a couple of weeks and alternate them with rack pulls. Repetitions are to be kept over 6 to limit the weight used from going super heavy and pressuring the spine too much. 

4. Lower back overtraining

Be very careful on your lower back. Once that’s gone, its over. Think about your training. Don’t be training back two days after squatting. Squats hit lower back hard too, especially in our case, so give your erectors a rest before you pound them again.

5. Clean diet

Try not to bulk up too much. No matter how tall a person it, there is only one heart in the body and 5’6” person’s heart can handle 280 lbs bulked up much better than tall person’s heart would handle 350 lbs in the same shape. You want to be healthy right? Don’t get your fat level rise too much. You have to carry your ass wherever you go.

6. Leave your ego.

Be patient with the weight increase on your bar. Don’t be stupid and try crazy lifts just because you see someone else do it in your gym. He might be lighter and press more, but his range of motion is half yours and therefore you have to control the weight twice as long and there is bigger injury potential if you mess up.

7. Machines are not for pussies.

Don’t think that you have to work out only with free weights and that machines are not for you. I have found very useful using machines in my workout especially to eliminate lower back from action, or isolate particular muscle. Its much better for me to do my second pressing movement for chest, for example, on a machine since my supporting muscles are also already tired and holding free weight would be lot more difficult.

8. Don’t forget abs

Work your abs at least 3 times a week to build a strong abdominal wall. The stronger the abs, the more stress they elevate from lower back when working out. You must strive to build your torso as strong as possible.

9. Cheating

Be very careful doing last repetitions of certain exercises and using cheating to complete them. Using heavy cheating motion on barbell bicep curls can compromise your lower back also. Not mentioning trying to pull the last crucial rep on deadlift. Keep your form strict and don’t round your back. It could be fatal.

Post #2087
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 1/31/2011 11:41:18 AM
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 9/19/2011 9:27:35 PM
Maybe you should add one that says 'do not expect to make a living from bodybuilding' pursueing bodybuilding expecting to pay the bills is a dream for only the few and far between I think.

- - - - - -
Free awesome nutrition and performace enhancing information from a sport scientist here: Mike Sweeney on FB
Post #2106
 Posted 1/31/2011 8:08:11 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

MikeS (1/31/2011)
Maybe you should add one that says 'do not expect to make a living from bodybuilding' pursueing bodybuilding expecting to pay the bills is a dream for only the few and far between I think.

LOL true. thats number 10 then. Its hard enough for a short person to make a living from it. For a tall person its almost impossible. Lou was the last 6'5" pro out there and thats almost 20 years ago.
Post #2111
 Posted 2/1/2011 5:53:42 PM
Supreme Being

Last Login: 4/9/2013 4:25:31 PM
Daniel James (1/31/2011) 8. Don’t forget abs

Work your abs at least 3 times a week to build a strong abdominal wall. The stronger the abs, the more stress they elevate from lower back when working out. You must strive to build your torso as strong as possible.

I'm 6'1" (not the 6'4" in your example) but will take this recommendation to heart. Haven't been training calves or abs. My structure is crap for physique competition, and so with no stage aspirations I've really just been concentrating on other body parts.

Great advice. Thank you!

http://forum.vpxsports.com/Uploads/Images/1a77f260-8b19-4522-bedb-3933.JPG
Post #2132
 Posted 2/1/2011 8:00:34 PM
Supreme Being

Curt James (2/1/2011)
Daniel James (1/31/2011) 8. Don’t forget abs

I'm 6'1" (not the 6'4" in your example) but will take this recommendation to heart. Haven't been training calves or abs. My structure is crap for physique competition, and so with no stage aspirations I've really just been concentrating on other body parts.

Great advice. Thank you!

No problem. 6'1" is still pretty tall and you know how it is. People blast their back, or chest, or whatever and if they have time or mood for it they do 3 sets of crunches half assed so they can say they did abs.Smile I've been there. Gurus like Chris Aceto over at RX recommend abs to be done every day, but in my opinion thats a little overkill. I am sore next day after my ab workout so I try to do them every other day. Not something I particularly enjoy but my lower back is thankfull for this.
Post #2134
 Posted 7/28/2012 5:34:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 7/28/2012 5:20:38 AM
good info. Especially about the lower back.  I have been very fortunate to have no chronic back problems.  A rarity for tall folks.  I'm 6'8" and 32 years old right now, but even in my prime I could never bench more than 265.  Frustrating, but with my 7 foot armspan there is a HUGE distance from my chest to fully extended.
Post #37900
 Posted 7/28/2012 5:57:20 AM
Supreme Being

Last Login: 9/7/2012 12:29:16 PM
I never realized how many giants are on this site
Post #37901
 Posted 7/28/2012 6:37:44 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 7/29/2012 3:52:34 PM
Fantastic Post Daniel James...a great read and all points are valid. no matter how tall you are, proper technique and weight is essential to longevity in the gym.

Tall people also have it rough in the max bench department....their arms are longer which increases the distance between the finish position and the top of the chest.

Also agree that gym patience is a virtue....advertisements and societys push for wanting things done yesterday hinder this mindset. You can't get 'ripped in 21 days' as some of these fitness programs suggest.

Keep writing good posts, the forum always needs quality people providing quality advice.

Andrew Pearcey

Website Owner/Operator, 33fitness

www.33fitness.com
Post #37903
 Posted 9/6/2012 10:51:42 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 9/6/2012 10:56:00 PM
It got almost everything. It is difficult for a taller man to get the perfect ratio but these tips will definitely help. I think Arnold is one of the great example of tall body builder.

Edited: 9/7/2012 3:37:19 AM by JonnySwole
Post #38074
 Posted 11/22/2012 9:45:40 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 1/6/2013 3:54:57 PM
Thanks for giving me insights. Hmm.. I never thought it would be like that. Are you sure about this? I need to find proof first.
Post #38166